Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Author Margaret Daley Shares Her Thanksgiving Joys


My guest today is another Love Inspired Author and a friend is Margaret Daley. She is sharing a tip for the holidays. The theme this month is Wise November, a month where we can all share tips for helping us celebrate the holiday season without losing our good humor! Here's Margaret:

"Thanksgiving-the beginning of the holidays

By Margaret Daley

I love having my family over for Thanksgiving because after we have stuffed ourselves with too much food (love leftovers), I get our Christmas tree out (artificial because my husband is allergic to pine) and the ornaments and have my family help decorate the tree. Now that I have granddaughters it is extra special. They even have their own smaller tree we put up. Having others help decorate makes it funnier and it goes faster. That’s also when I start playing Christmas music.

My biggest tip for shopping this holiday is to avoid the day after Thanksgiving. I know that some people love crowds, but I like to get in and out. I have found some good sales going on right now. I think retailers are worried about this holiday season, so they are having good sales earlier. I think the funniest time I have is when I shop for a child on our church’s angel tree. That’s what Christmas is about--giving.

Does anyone have a good recipe for leftover turkey? I make a big turkey/vegetable soup with my leftovers. It feeds us for a week. In the soup I put whatever I have on hand—can or frozen vegetables—potatoes or rice. I’ll vary the seasonings, too. When it gets cold, my husband and I really like soups."

Thanks, Margaret. I do the turkey soup too, but I also found a great recipe for Turkey Tretazini. I'll try to post it before Thanksgiving--Lyn

Together for the Holidays-Love Inspired, November 2009
Second Chance Family-Love Inspired, July 2009-see trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scHiL5CLehA
A Family for Tory/A Mother for Cindy, Love Inspired Classic June 2009
http://www.margaretdaley.com
http://margaretdaley.blogspot.com


8 comments:

Margaret Daley said...

Thanks for hosting me.
Margaret

Project Journal said...

Great interview!!

Keep them coming, Lyn! I really enjoy them, even if I don't always have the time to comment on them : )
Hannah
P.S. How was the wedding?

Unknown said...

Can't wait until the holidays! I never go shopping the day after Thanksgiving (I'm usually still too full to move), but it's becoming a tradition to go to a late-night movie Thanksgiving night. Good times!

Lyn Cote said...

No problem, Hannah! And I'll try to get some wedding photos up next week.
Busy! Busy!
Have a nice weekend!

Project Journal said...

Oh cool! That's exciting!

Know how you mean about BUSY! We had a 6 hour musical rehearsal until 11pm tonight : / Our musical is next week! Ahhhhh! Busy!
Hannah

Margaret Daley said...

Thanks for stopping by, K.M. and Hannah. K.M., I don't go shopping the day after Thanksgiving either. Too crowded for me. Hannah, 6 hours!!! That's a long rehearsal.
Margaret

Project Journal said...

I know! Lol...it was long, but it went pretty well. It was much needed and right now the musical is looking pretty good. Even the director thinks that it's looking A LOT better than it did even a couple days ago : D
Hannah

Rose said...

Hi Margaret,

My mom always makes turkey ala king with her leftovers, which I think is yummier than the first time around.

I've also used my leftover turkey to replace the chicken in enchillades.

Rose