
My guest today is Author Renee Ryan who visited not long ago. She's back with another morsel of wisdom and another book to giveaway. Leave a comment and you will be entered in the drawing! Here's Renee:
"Lyn, thanks for having me again. I love writing strong heroines. In fact, when I started plotting my latest Love Inspired Historical novel, DANGEROUS ALLIES, I knew I wanted to write a story about female courage. But that was all I knew. Courage can mean different things to different people. To me, courage isn’t the absence of fear but rather action in spite of fear. Given that definition Nazi Germany immediately came to mind.
Next came the “what if” game. What if I set my entire novel in Nazi Germany? What would that require? What if I put my heroine in a situation that called for courage on a daily basis? What would her life be like? What if I make her a spy? Or better yet, what if I made her a mole (a person who works for the enemy from inside the country)? Now that job would require courage by my definition, especially in Nazi Germany.
Since I write Christian fiction I went to the Bible for my heroine’s role model. I immediately thought of Rahab. Often, we focus on Rahab’s chosen profession and how the Lord used her despite her sinful career. But as I started plotting DANGEROUS ALLIES, I began thinking about all Rahab risked to help the Israelites defeat her homeland.
Rahab wasn’t actually a spy, but she worked directly with spies. She put herself in danger and risked her entire way of life to help strangers who came from a foreign land. If caught, she would have been imprisoned. Or worse, maybe even executed. It’s important to remember that Rahab wasn’t an Israelite. She only knew them by reputation. She also knew their God by reputation, enough that she knew He was the real deal. Although she didn’t know much about God, she chose to obey Him. She chose rightly. Not only was her life saved, it was changed forever. But never forget, the choice to throw her lot in with the Israelites required incredible courage.
After thinking about Rahab from this angle I knew she was the kind of heroine I wanted to write. Enter Katia Kerensky, a Russian princess turned stage actress in 1939 Nazi Germany. Katia risks everything, even her life, to help the British defeat the Third Reich.
So, what about you? How do you define courage? What Bible characters come to mind? Leave a comment and we’ll enter you into a drawing to win a copy of DANGEROUS ALLIES."--Renee
For more info, drop by www.reneeryan.com




17 comments:
Courage--the ability to do something with God's power even though you are afraid.
King David comes to mind when confronted by the prophet (names escapes me)who confronts him about his sin with Bathsheba and the murder of her husband. He repented immediately.
desertrose51yr at gmail dot com
Please enter me.
We all need courage, and reading about the courage of others gives us more courage. He is our courage. Rahab He used, wow, He can use us too if we desire it. Juanita W
whisper97304@yahoo.com
Ruth always reminds me of courage. She walked blindly with her mother-in-law to a country she knew nothing about and married a man she barely knew.
pinkdaddysgirl[at]msn[dot]com
Hi all,
It's always good to be here. Linda, David is always a good example because, yes, true repentance requires courage. Good point!
Hi Jaunita, I always love the story of Rahab because of how God used such a cracked vessel. Seems I always get something new out of her story.
Ariel, I love the story of Ruth. Funny, I just reread her story yesterday. How's that for like minds????
~Renee~
I know this book is going to be good. I've read some of Renee's books and they all are good. Would love to read this one. Thanks for giving away a copy.
plhouston(at)bellsouth(dot)net
Hi Patsy,
Thanks for stopping by today. ;-)
~Renee~
The prophet was Nathan who confronted David with the story of the little pet lamb. I always use this to illustrate the power of "stories" to move a heart. That's what Renee and I do--we hope!
Oh, yeah, Lyn, you definitely move a heart -- mine anyway. I really enjoy your stories. ;-)
~Renee~
Hey Renee!
Hope your daughter is settling into college okay....
Courage reminds me of Mary. I think that she was extremely courageous to be confronted by an angel, who she didn't know not to be afraid of, told she would born a child that wasn't technically her own and all at age thirteen I believe? Scary....I mean she seems brave to me to have that much trust in God. You need to have courage to overcome the obstacles in your life. God can help you with it, but you need to trust in him. Thank you for reminding me of this today!
hccelie[at]gmail[dot]com
Talk to you ladies soon!
Hannah
Hi Hannah,
My daughter is definitely settled in at college. She's even managed to call me everyday. Never would have expected that. ;-)
And, yes, Mary is the ultimate example of courage, especially when we consider her age!!!
~Renee~
I define courage as something where you stand up for what you believe in even if theres no backing but your own the story that i think of the most is
David and golith mainly because he did have courage to do something he was afraid to do but did it anyways because it was what he felt in his heart as being right
Well good for her! Sounds much better off than me....lucky her!
: /
On top of it all I'm having some health related issues right now. Ah well, hopefully things get better soon.
Hannah
Courage is what you do in the face of fear. Someone already mentioned Ruth. Talk about courage going to a foreign country and doing what your mother-in-law ask you to do without questioning why! I so would've have wanted to know why. Funny it was mentioned since I just read that story to the bible study group I teach on friday nights.
The other one that comes to mind is Jonathan...David's best friend. Talk about unconditional love! Warning his friend about his father wanting to kill David and not worrying about what it might do to him. I love their friendship!
Jbrusenhan(at)yahoo(dot)com
We have a winner. Drum roll...
ARIEL!
All I need is your snail mail address. Drop me an email at:
renee@reneeryan.com
and I'll get a copy of DANGEROUS ALLIES to you asap.
Blessings!
~Renee~
Congrats Ariel, you lucky duck you!! Enjoy Dangerous Allies and let me know how it is ; )
Hannah
Courage to me is having the guts to choose the right, and to follow the Lord's commandments, no matter the circumstances, or how hard it may be. I think of Joseph was courageous when he ran from Potipher's wife! He knew what was right, and running to some may look cowardly, but I see it like meaning he had enough courage and integrity to do the right thing, and fleeing the situation and temptation was how he accomplished that. He was imprisoned because he choose the right, and though it later all worked out for him, it had to have been very hard. Yet he never gave up his faith in God through all his trials. That to me is courage. :)
Thanks, Renee, for being my guest and giving away a copy of your latest. You're a sweetheart!
Post a Comment